Wednesday, December 23, 2009

TRAILER TIME




This movie is getting loads of Oscar Buzz!!! Have you seen the trailer, if not - you must. It's directed by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) and stars Stanley Tucci, Susan Sarandon, Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz and Saoirse Ronan (young girl from Atonement). I heard the book is incredible so hopefully the movie will stand up to the hype!!! This is definetly not a festive, "pick me up" kinda movie!! Given its' content I have a feeling it's going to be intensely serious and depressingly sad - the traditional prerequisite for any Oscar Nominated Film!!!! I suggest bringing a large box of Kleenex!!!!





When I was 17 I worked at a movie theater, and I remember thinking the first Christmas I was forced to work - Who in the hell would come to a movie on Christmas???? When 8 of the 9 theaters sold out (because of the Titanic movie) - I realized the answer was everyone!!!! As I mumbled unrepeatable endearments at my customers, I recall swearing my undying support for the poor buggers forced to work on what is supposed to be the happiest day of the year!!

My moral standards seem to be slipping because when I saw this trailer - my first thought was - how could I strategically suggest the family abandon the board games and go out to a movie on Christmas!!!! I can already picture my mother’s scowling face at the very idea of abandoning our Christmas traditions to partake in an unsociable, mindless activity. She will be eye murdering me the remainder of the evening – if I make it that long!!!

This movie is a sure bet – Meryl Streep does not put her name on anything unless it’s well written and well cast. She has already received a Golden Globe nomination for this movie as well as for “Julie and Julia”, I wonder which role she will win for?????. This is one of the those great movies you go see with your girlfriends and mom and laugh as though you are the only one in the theater – can’t wait. Movie opens everywhere Christmas Day. If you have the chance to see it this weekend – would love to hear your reviews.





If I was going to be stuck on a desert island and I could only bring 5 movies with me (my desert island has power, a t.v. and dvd player!!) - Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) would be on that list - now your asking yourself what is the connection????

Carey Mulligan (the lead actress in "An Education") was the younger sister of Izzy (Keira Knightly's character)in "Pride and Prejudice" so therefore she is granted instantaneous likability through association!!!! She has just been named one of 2009 up and coming artist's, she is dating Shia Lebeuf (Transformers)and she is ridiculously beautiful - definitely one to watch.

Once again it is a film packed full of incredible actors - Emma Thompson, Alfred Molina, Peter Sarsgaard and Dominic Cooper. Carey has been receiving endless praise for her role and it sounds like Oscar might be calling. This is a must see - hoping it ends up on my top 5 - I need a change up!!!!!





Director James Cameron (the Titanic) has created a 3D master piece. This movie cost 300 million dollars to create, which to give some perspective - Lord of the Rings, fellowship of the ring cost 270 million to create. Hollywood has been hit hard by the economy so it was both surprising and risky to create this movie - lucky for them it seems to have paid off. Avatar brought in 232 million worldwide it's first weekend. Sci-fi movies have such an incredible following that I would not be surprised if it breaks major records before it leaves the theaters.